What to Know Before Transporting Dogs and Cats to Finland

Finland Import Requirements and Timeline

Microchip and vaccinations for dogs and cats 

  • Time frame: we recommend starting at least 30 days in advance when moving your pet to Finland
  • If transporting your pets to Finalnd, it’s important to note that all pets must be microchipped and vaccinated before entry.
  • Please read below to ensure import compliance with the specific details and requirements.

Each pet shall be identified using a microchip.

  • No other form of identification is acceptable.
  • The microchip should comply with ISO Standard 11784 or Annex A to ISO standard 11785. Finland currently accepts AVID-9 and AVID-10 in addition to ISO. The microchip must be implanted before the rabies vaccine is administered.
  • All pets must have an original Rabies Certificate signed by the vet. During the final health exam, the Rabies vaccine must be at least 21 days old.

Further details regarding the rabies vaccine:

  • Pets may be transported to Finland with a current one-year vaccine (also known as a “primary” vaccine).
  • Pets may be transported to Finland with a 3-year vaccine administered less than a year ago (otherwise, it may be considered a booster).

Other recommended vaccines include:

  • Dogs: Distemper, Hepatitis, Leptospirosis, Parainfluenza and Parvovirus (DHLPP) and Bordetella.
  • Cats: Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis, Calicivirus and Panleukopenia (FVRCP).

These should be valid at the time of import and administered no less than two weeks before the export date for maximum effectiveness.

What to Know Before Transporting Dogs and Cats to Finland
What to Know Before Transporting Dogs and Cats to Finland

Import documentation

Time frame: Within 10 days prior to departure (non-commercial)

As part of our services, we provide detailed templates for your veterinarian to ensure all forms are completed properly.

Additionally, our team is available to answer any questions you or your veterinarian may have throughout the process.

EU Health Certificate

Your dedicated relocation coordinator will provide you with an EU Health Certificate that your accredited veterinarian must fill out and sign in a different color ink than the certificate’s printing, usually blue ink.

This certificate is valid for ten days from the date of issue by the official veterinarian until the date of the checks at the EU point of entry. If you plan to travel further within the EU, don’t hesitate to contact us for additional guidance.

USDA Endorsements

To ensure compliance with the USDA regulations, the following forms below must be sent to your local USDA for approval.

  • Microchip Implantation Record
  • Rabies Certificate
  • EU Vet Health Certificate
  • Airline Health Certificate

It’s important to note that these forms should be readily available from your vet, but it’s recommended to call ahead and confirm availability.

  • Remember that your vet must complete the EU Health Certificate within ten days of departure.
  • However, please note that this timeframe changes within the context of a commercial move, where additional requirements may apply.
  • Read below for more information on the 5-day rule and commercial move requirements.
What to Know Before Transporting Dogs and Cats to Finland
What to Know Before Transporting Dogs and Cats to Finland

The 5 – day rule 

Important information to keep your move on track.

Before you transport your dog or cat to Finland, make sure you’re aware of regulations unique to the EU!

EU 5-Day Rule

If your dog or cat is being transported “non-commercially,” they must fly within five days of their owner.

If you cannot meet this 5-Day Rule, the move can still be carried out, but it will be considered a commercial move, which increases costs and changes the EU import requirements and timeline. In such cases, you will need to meet stricter import requirements.

What to Know Before Transporting Dogs and Cats to Finland
What to Know Before Transporting Dogs and Cats to Finland

Unlisted Countries and Additional Requirements

If you come from an “unlisted country,” your pet will need a rabies antibody test, also known as a titer. In this case, you must follow the below steps:

  • Microchip and rabies vaccination (at least 30 days old before blood draw)
  • Rabies antibody test performed by an accredited veterinarian and sent to an EU-approved laboratory.
  • Before completing export paperwork, you must wait 90 days after the blood draw (assuming a passing result).

Immediately contact with ASIAPATA for the detailed advance and get the best deal in 2023 !!!

Read more our articles below :

International Pet Transport From Vietnam to Korea

International Pet Transport to Kyoto

Lời khuyên hàng đầu để bay với một con mèo lớn tuổi